Two Pills Tips: Escape Rooms!

December 28, 2018


              If you have worksheets, you can create an escape room! 




Escape rooms are SO hot right now.  I have seen diabetes escape rooms, gram positive infections escape rooms, and even interprofessional education escape rooms.  They sound daunting and difficult to create.  However, after making my first one, I can tell you-if you have worksheets, you can create an escape room! 



Who: I piloted it in my elective, so a smaller group.  Students were in teams of 2-3. 



What: This was an end of course review for an infectious disease elective 



Where: Classroom 



When: End of course 





-Allows you to review many concepts in a short amount of time 


-Students are entirely immersed in the content as they attempt to solve the locks 


-Timer naturally creates sense of urgency and competition 





-While tackle boxes & combination locks are probably more fun, using google forms is MUCH easier to modify 


-I did not have much experience with google forms prior to this, but there are so many amazing resources on youtube that can help 


-My google form ended up having 13 “locks” 


-I liked having the ability to give them notes such as “must capitalize”  


-Was able to send students shortened link to escape room 


-Was nervous that somehow it would show all of the answers, (in the same way I get nervous about electronic exams), but it all worked out great 


-I gave the students 90 minutes to complete the escape room and they all did-though with only a few minutes remaining 


-Some glitches-be sure to only require questions that are actually locks 


-I had a crossword puzzle as a required element of the escape room, but accidentally “required’ an answer-the students were unable to submit that one 


-For the questions, I used a canva presentation.  I’m sure you could put everything successfully into a google form, but again, Canva is easier for me to modify.  (I’m more familiar with it). 



Some examples I used: 


-Name 5 antibiotics that provide activity against Pseudomonas.  I would then choose a letter from each antibiotic and it would spell a word.  The students would have to enter a word as the code. 


-I would have students answer multiple choice questions about antibiotics.  Each multiple choice response correlated with a number (a=1, b-2, etc).  After answering 10 questions, students would have to enter their total score into the google form.  This was tricky as they were not entirely sure which questions were incorrect. 


-I required students to role play and counsel each other on certain ID concepts as if they were working in the community setting.  They would then be responsible for writing a few sentences as a short answer response.  They didn’t know that the google form would accept anything, so it worked out well. 


-I created a crossword for questions that were not easily converted to codes.  Crosswords are great in that they are self-correcting.  The code to enter into the google form was something I determined after they completed the crossword (I would tell them when it was complete that the code word was the answer to 3 down).  I told them afterwards so that they would complete the entire puzzle. 

It took some time to make, but was SO much fun.  I would absolutely do this activity again. 


Try it out!  Play with Youtube over winter break and see if you can create an escape room for spring semester!   








Please reload

Our Recent Posts

Please reload


Please reload


I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload


©2018 by TAKE TWO PILLS... and listen to this podcast. Proudly created with

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now